- Do your research into political, cultural and economic conditions of the countries to which you will be travelling. Ask friends who have been there, travel agents, foreign missions, and consult guidebooks before you leave.
- Draw up a flexible itinerary and budget. Leave a copy with someone at home.
- Find out about weather conditions. Pack appropriate footwear and the minimum of clothing.
- Purchase a supplementary health insurance plan that is appropriate for the type of trip that you are making.
- Carry proof of insurance coverage.
- Know how to contact your insurer, and make sure that your travelling companion(s), travel agent and someone at home know how to do so as well.
- Photocopy the identification page in your passport. Keep a copy separate from the passport, and leave another copy with someone at home.
- Ensure that you have all the required vaccinations.
- Keep any medication that you require in its original container, and carry a doctor's prescription for any controlled drug.
- Carry a medical certificate for syringes if you require them for medical purposes.
- Ensure that you have the required visas. Make photocopies of your visas, and keep them separate from the originals.
- Investigate whether or not you or any of your family members are also considered nationals of any of the countries you plan to visit.
- Learn a few phrases in the language of the country you plan to visit.